Monday, July 26, 2010

Race Morning in Pictures

SF 1/2 race morning started early....REALLY EFFING EARLY! and so much happened over the whole morning, that I'll have to tell the story in parts... But for now, my official result was 2:38.11. Not my best 1/2 Mary, but I'll take it on a hilly course, on a cold San Francisco Summer Day where I used the excuse of stopping regularly to take some excellent photos!



We woke up at 4:15 to the sonorous "mooooooooooooo" alarm of Elsie's iPhone alarm. it was truly "The Butt-crack of dawn."


Breakfast... We'd gone to Sbux the day before to get instant coffee and oatmeal. In case you didn't know, Sbux will sell you their oatmeal sans water. Our room had a single cup at a time coffee maker, so we started running water through it constantly.


Betty made breakfast for us. YES! The neon-day-glo-lime-green running shirts are BACK!!!!


Good morning Sunshines!!!!


It's dark out"


We did the usual bag-check, which way should we go routine and as we made our way to the starting corrals we ran into Penny and RBR!!! I was so excited to meet Stacey...as you can see, it took us awhile to get used to each other!


off to the PPs. This is Betty, Elsie & Mik doing their bizz. (you'll have to take my word for it).


I could be wrong, but these Porta-a-potties could charge higher rents just for the view! That's the Bay Bridge in the background.


I was getting really thirsty, so I decided to do a little warmup jog on the bayfront path and hopefully find a drinking fountain. It was a beautiful Morning on the bay.


Unfortunately, in my morning jaunt, I got separated from the rest of the herd...I know that Elsie and Betty are up there somewhere... Ah well, RBR and Willie were close behind me (which turned out to be a really excellent thing)...and in no time at all, we were off.


Headed toward The Golden Gate Bridge. When I paused to take this shot RBR slapped me on the ass (Thank you) and we ran the next few miles together, which was awesome and fun and kept my mind off the stress I was starting to feel in the PF region of my right foot. we chatted about peeps we met, the joys of teaching high school summer school and lord knows what else.

OK...I'll write more later but my iBlogger ap on the iPad keeps crashing when I add more photos, so I'll leave you in suspense about the rest of the race and day...oh, wait a minute, I already told you how it ended. No matter, I have many good stories about the rest of the day, and rest assured, it ends with this...

And this.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

11 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous- it all looks like such fun!

    Did I ever tell you guys that over the past month I've been having "running" dreams? I haven't been dreaming about the wine I can't have or the "calf" i'm about to birth- but plenty of dreams where I am running, enjoying the exercise and hanging out with you all.

    Dude. Can't wait until I am able to jog/ride/crossfit again. Never did I think I would be that person! :)

    Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like fun, and congrats on finishing another HM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the shirts! great job! looking forward to reading the rest...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so wish I could have been there. Sounds like fun. I can't wait to hear the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That "anxious" feeling while waiting to go is just the absolute best! Congrats on getting another 1/2 under your belt. What fun to run with RBR! One of my dreams!!! Are you reading this RBR??? Come to WI and run with me!!!!

    Looking forward to rest of the report!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ZOMG!1! You got to MEET teh Tranny B*tch!?!1?? Not only did you hug her - it kinda looks like you were grinding up against here, as well.

    So you would know the answer to this question better than anyone:

    Does she have a penis?

    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! RBR is gonna KILL me if she reads that comment, but it's SOOOO worth it!

    Also, and even more important:

    If yes ... is it bigger than mine? Because mine's yea big (you can't see this, but I'm holding my hands roughly a hectare apart, and that's low-balling the estimate).

    Hahahahahaha! I am such a PIG!1!

    Who on the blogosphere is a bigger PIG than I?

    NO ONE!1!

    P.S. If my bloated, partially-decomposed carcass washes up on some shore a month from now, I want everyone to know that RBR killed me. AVENGE ME, Heffers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a terrific time out there. How can you not in San Francisco, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, entertaining comment there above!! Please DON'T feel a need to explain!!!
    It was SO fun meeting you and I'm glad your race was FUN. I think that's the theme of this one, it just has that neat feel to it...despite the EARLY wake up time and the need to have too much fun the night before or just during the trip. :)
    BIG hugs, so happy we finally met and what's NEXT?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Why didn't you share that idea about the SBux oatmeal? Cool idea! My nephew is the prototypical bachelor, so has nothing to eat (plenty to drink though) at his place. I had to show up without breakfast. :-(

    Drinking fountain? They had water at the bag drop.

    Sorry I missed you out there. I started in Wave 5 and saw you moving toward the start. I did see you on the bridge though. I was huffing and puffing so hard I couldn't yell. I did get a photo though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Betty says -
    It was great to meet all the blogging buddies of Alice! Thanks Glenn for the pix! Penny - thanks for planning dinner - I'm real proud of your niece on her first 1/2! I think Glenn finished the marathon before I finished the half! Way to go! I loved the San Fran venue!

    ReplyDelete