Now that most of the holiday stuff is behind us, it's time to set our sights on the Carlsbad 1/2 Marathon which is only 3 WEEKS AWAY (OMFG). Unfortunately, I didn't get in a long run on Saturday (had to recover from Christmas)...or on Sunday (had to go shopping with DramaGirl so she could spend some of her Xmas Gift Cards)...or on Monday (had to do something important, AND I also didn't run in the Holiday Bowl 5K, but that was more of an "I should stop spending and start saving some money thing)...
So...finally...this morning Mik, Betty and I got our long run in...our goal was to go 10 miles in less than 2 hours. It was also another chance for me to play with my new Garmin (dubbed the perfect gadget, and it does almost everything except for vibrate on demand, which is what Mik is apparently looking for in a watch!)
The really difficult part to getting ready for Carlsbad is that I've been struck by an intense case of non-motivation for running. I'm not sure if it's all the holiday craziness that's affecting me, or if it's some other malaise, but once again, had Betty not called me yesterday, and had Mik not emailed me, I'm sure I would have found SOMETHING ELSE to do today that would have precluded my running this morning, but they both called, so off we went...and I'm so glad we did.
First of all, it was beautiful this morning. I don't want to make ya'all feel bad, but it was one of those mornings where I am reminded, once again, of why I live here. It was a little cold when I left my house (my iPhone weather Ap said it was 37 degrees!), but by the time we got to the bay, it seemed closer to 50. I know that by the end of the run, it must have been close to 70!
Here's Mik looking on at the bay..yes all those tourists in t-shirts and shorts.
The most surprising thing about this photo is that there is not a single person wearing Orange in it, and this morning we ran in a sea of orange...all of the Oklahoma fans who are in town for the Holiday Bowl. We didn't see as many Oregon fans, but that may have been because Oregon's primary color is green, and they just blended in...but Oklahoma fans wear all sorts of gear in VERY BRIGHT ORANGE and they where EVERYWHERE. I'm rather glad that the weather this morning was so wonderful for them. For the most part, you can always tell the tourists on winter mornings like this...they have these rather blissful, happy, silly, smiles on their faces as they gaze onto the picture perfect bay.
We did note that after our run that none of the mid-westerners ordered a latte or a cappucino...black coffee and a pastry. We're not sure why it took us so long to get our latte's...I mean, how long does it take to pour coffee?
Of course, the blissful-smile-tourist-wander a little less endearing when they wander aimlessly in front of you, but for the most part, it's sorta charming. I don't blame them. After a couple of weeks of pretty lousy-cold-wet weather, I had some of the warm-weather silliness in me too.
Despite the wonderful weather, I'm gonna rant a little bit about some of my current running gripes...
- Like, why is it I can run 8 miles with no problem, but 10+ has become a nightmare for me...what is it about those last two miles that have been so painful, and how am I going to overcome it to run 13.
- I sure felt those extra 5 pounds I'm currently carrying due to the holiday fest. Going to have to deal with that in the next three weeks (and then some).
- I am completely enamored of the Garmin, but wonder if it'll take some getting used to. I know that twice today, I sorta freaked out a little because I looked at it and saw that I was running quite a bit faster than I thought I was...then thought, I should slow down because I don't run that fast...
- I loved running miles 5-10 with Mik because I had to push myself to keep up with her speedy self, and that was good for me, but I'm also feeling it tonight in my hammies.
- Am so proud of Betty for going the distance commando style...no chaffing!
Finally...hope you all have a really happy new year! Betty, Mik and I were talking about having a theme party where all of the foods are inspired by "bob." We though of:
- bobbing for apples,
- anything on a Boboli, and
OK..here's one more shot of the bay this morning...just 'cuz
Happy tourists, but still...no Orange, which is amazing because Orange shirts were EVERYWHERE!