Deene made a comment a few days back that maybe I should try some cross training (since I was whining about my general lack of motivation for running), so yesterday we started off the year with a family hike up Cowles Mountain. It was a pretty good climb. I wore my Garmin, which reports that the trail was 1.5 miles up, and 1.5 miles down, and about 1000 feet (ascent and descent)...whew!
Now, I'm not much of a hiker. This is probably due to my incredibly-out-of-shape past, thus DramaGirl and Turbo are not much into hiking either, but we had a wonderful day. So, at the risk of alienating those of you who are in cold places, I'm going to post a few pix from the day AND I'm going to remember to post a comment on NikeMom's website (which I forgot to do last time...details, ah the details!)
Another view of Lake BP
Turbo with walking stick plays air guitar
DramaGirl and Turbo reinact a Star Wars Scene (what else would a brother/sister team do with sticks in their hands?)
DramaGirl and me on the trail (with lake BP in the background)
We made it to the top
Some comments about the hike:
- Uphill was actually pretty easy.
- Because I have incredibly short legs, climbing up the rocks was not so easy, but doable
- Although I don't hike, I do own trail shoes, which were a godsend. I saw people in tennis shoes sliding all over the place.
- It was pretty crowded. Apparently, there are lots of people who start off the new year with a hike up the hill.
- The views were wonderful.
- I'm proud of DramaGirl for going all the way to the top with me.
- There were some people running the trail, which I find incredible. Like I said it was pretty steep, rocky, and boulder-y (is that a word?).
- Going downhill was waaaaaay more difficult than going uphill. My quads were close to shaking by the time we got to the bottom of the hill.
So, I do think I'll be adding in the occassional hike as part of my new cross-training program. It was nice to get out there with the family and a nice way to start the new year.