That being said, I am having a nice glass of wine right now anyway.
It's been quite a weekend. Here are the bullet points.
- Saturday morning - Betty and I ran 4.45 miles with the track club. BBJ and Scotty were also there (we'll need to come up with a pseudonym for Scotty. At some point, I suspect we will). For me, it was a great run.
- Last year (and you're going to have to endure LOTS of last year/this year comparisons for awhile...my appologies)...anyway, last year I ran less than 3.5 miles in 40+ minutes; this year Betty and I ran 4.5 miles in 48 minutes...and we made it to the second water station. I didn't even know there was a second water station.
- Last year people talked about running over the second bridge. I didnt' even know there were bridges on the route. This year, Betty and I ran over the first bridge...and back. It's going to be a fun season seeing what a stronger runner I've become in since last year.
- Yesterday, I had to go straight from the run to present at a workshop. Again, I did this one time last year and could barely move through my presentation. This year...no problem. The worst part of the morning was that I forgot to bring a Luna or Clif Bar for breakfast, so by about noon, I was STARVING (not really...but pretty hungry nonetheless).
- Last night, I went to Wilma's "candle party" which was a euphamistic way to invite a bunch of women to a party that showcased various "toys" ...yeah there were candles for sale, but there was other stuff as well. We annotated a catalog for giggles. That's all I have to say about the event other than I had fun, laughed a lot, but I didn't take any pix.
- This morning, I ran 10 miles (1:53:16) with Betty, Mik, Alberta, & Elsie (although Elsie ditched us to hang out with her calf and grand-calf). This was my last "long-run" before Carlsbad. I'll run about 6 miles next weekend with the track club.
- Mik, who was in Honduras for a week, told us that termites taste like carrots, a fact that I'm happy to know second-hand, but I don't think I'll ever experience first-hand.
- This morning was a little warmer than it's been recently, so I may have gotten a little dehydrated toward the end of the run. But I have no complaints. I live in a great place.
After the run, Alberta (in green), Mik (in black), and Betty (standing) recover by sitting on the curb. Alberta's sister joined us.
- After the run, I dunked my somewhat sore achilles in a 47º pool, which works just as well as ice...but I wasn't brave enough to go up to my ass in the pool...so I used the bag 'o peas method to ice my glutes (which continue to ache after all runs).
- I admitted to Mik and Betty that I could see myself getting completely caught up in the hoopla and signing up for another marathon at the end of the SDTC training season. It's not my goal to run a marathon this May, but I could see how it could happen. All things being equal right now. I'd rather get through the training season and then run the San Francisco 1/2 Marathon in July than the Rock and Roll Marathon on May 31.