Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Just Some Randomness

  • I did Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred for the first time yesterday. I am going to try to work in some of her workouts...you know, as both strength and cross training, a couple times a week. Level 1 was doable...I could do the ab work and the cardio (although I will admit I've never been able to kick my own butt...so that part was more challenging...and why does high-impact aerobics seem so much more high-impact than running?), but anything that deals with weights and my upper body strength? fuhgettaboutit...So I feel it in my shoulders and upper arms today. I used some 4lb hand weights. I'm thinking that I'll have two sets of weights sitting around next time I do the workout--the 4lb ones for some of the floor work and the bicep curls, and a set of 2lb weights (I'm such a wuss) for anything where I have to lift weights over my head or to my shoulders. GAH!
  • On Monday, Steve, from Steve in a Speedo? Gross! told his story about how, even though he is a speedy-speedster now, and I couldn't even keep up with him for one lap around the track, he didn't start off that way and he posted some blog-worthy photos of himself from his early running days from high school. (NICE!). He says he's going to have a whole "best newbie story and embarrassing photo" contest later this month. I don't know if I have an embarrassing newbie story, but I've got a good photo from my first 5K (about three years ago).
  • This is me...taking a little break and WALKING during my first Carlsbad 5000 in April 2006 because running an entire 3.1 miles was entirely out of the question. There are several embarrassing elements to this photo. 1) the size of my thighs; 2) the fact that I'm running in some crappy New Balance cross-trainers. I'm pretty sure that it took this one race for me to realize that actual running shoes would be a GOOD IDEA! and; 3) that I decided "down the sports bra" was the best place to keep my iPod during a run. I swear, I was just adjusting the volume on my iPod when the really clever photographer took this shot; I am NOT checking out my boob. I do love that the Britegroom Photography guy decided to take this shot. I'm sure those race photographers LIVE for moments like this (some woman checking out her own boob and the guy who's picking out his shorts from his ass). Click!
  • OK...so speaking of shoes, I'm off to RoadRunner Sports this morning to get some new running shoes. I'm just tired of the random achilles and foot pain that has become increasingly worse after long runs over the last few weeks. After Sunday's 10 miler, the bottom of my feet were just KILLING me and my achilles tendon is still pretty tender. I'm pretty sure I just need new shoes. I got this current pair about a week before the AFC 1/2 marathon in August. I've run two half-marathons in them and trained, 400+ miles in them, so I'm due.  They look OK, but I have just been feeling the road in them. I do need that cushion-y support.
  • I'm going to my first Tuesday Night Track workout with the track club tonight. I both dread and enjoy these workouts. I dread them a little because it's a hard workout. We'll be doing 8x100 strides tonight. And, since it's early in the track-club season, the track will be really crowded. But they're enjoyable too because it's a nice 1-hour workout and the speed work does really help me increase my speed and form. It's also another chance to get together with the herd, so funny stuff is bound to happen. 

20 comments:

  1. LOL. Great pic. You are SOOO checking out your boob. ;)

    Have fun with the track club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you explained the pic, because I was wondering...

    ReplyDelete
  3. 30 Day Shred eh? I've been toying with the idea of 30Day being my new workout dvd purchase for the year. How long are the workouts?

    Nice boob shot... not as good as some OTHER boob shots I have, but....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pic! They always take the worst pics of me when I race. Or, perhaps I just always look like a dork!
    Can't wait to hear more about the 30 Day Shred!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha! This is great...my first
    5K pic is in my profile - I look SO newbie it's not even funny - it was taken before I actually started running but I look like I'm just taking a Sunday stroll lol, in my little color coordinated running clothes.

    Ok, I am reading numerous blogs about JM's Shred and that's it...I'm buying it tonight! I hope they have it at Tarjay...

    Because you know I'm just jealous of everyone that is so sore they can hardly lift their arms....

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang. I'll be skipping tonight's track workout because of my back! I swear, I'll be at next Saturday's long run!

    Yeah, the folks at Brightroom really good at those action photos... LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were so checking out your boob!!!! And what is jillian;s whatever...might have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! I know exactly what you were doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so funny with your pic.

    I'm going to have to try Jillian's shred workouts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pic. It's always fun to remind ourselves of where we've been in order to see how far we've come!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i picked up Jillian's dvd last night... tried it this morning for the first time! LOL @ the pic. sure you weren't checkin' out the boob? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay, I think I need to try that Jillean 30-day shred thing.... sounds fun and torturous at the same time! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorite place for the MP3 player, down with the titties!!!! I just hate when they sometimes change the song due to excessive "bouncing"!!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That *is* a funny photo! And look how far you've come since then. Do you ever listen to Jillian Michael's radio show on Sunday mornings? 9 to 11 on KFI.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LMAOOOO I love that pic. We're always so hard on ourselves. Do you think that the photographer has that one on his wall?

    PS: I am glad that I am not the only one who once used her sports bra as a "purse"

    ReplyDelete
  16. Funny, I immediately knew you were adjusting your iPod. The bra is the obvious choice for carrying items of any size of sort. It is a woman thing.

    Yeah, strength training. I just started ad as long as I don't need to, you know, brush my hair or laugh ever again, I guess you could say it is going okay.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Repeat after me....
    There will be no HEFFER boob shots on the HEFFERBLOG!

    ReplyDelete
  18. caption: 1 mile down, booby is hanging on tight!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, at least you HAVE boobs to check out ... unlike some of us. :-)

    I actually love that photo. I love seeing people in races that are plainly newbie runners. It takes such courage to get started and it makes me think about the great finish-line moment they have ahead of them. That photo shows a Heffer-blogger-in-the-making ... woohoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm loving the photo. I use my bra for storage all the time. I'm not as busty as I look. Now you know my secret.

    ReplyDelete