I have some mixed feelings about this.
- I'm relieved to not be fretting about trying to run up 6th Avenue having already run 11 miles, the first five of which are pretty much down some steep hills.
- I am relieved to not being worried about making it around Harbor Island and the Rental Car Return Depot at the San Diego Airport without suffering from head stroke.
- I am happy to not having to get up on Sunday at the butt-crack of dawn to catch a bus to get out to the tip of Point Loma to start the race.
- The AFC Half was my first 1/2 marathon; it was the first 1/2 mary Betty and I ran together. And while we (the herd) had run several 5Ks by the time we got to that first AFC 1/2, it really was the race that turned the whole casual-let's-consume-10X-more-calories-in-breakfast-and-mimosas-than-we-burned running into something slightly more serious (although we still do the breakfast thing!)
- The Neon-DayGlo-Lime-Green race shirts made their first appearance in that 1st AFC Half and I feel like I'm letting my racing shirt down.
- I've run it for the last three years in a row including last year's miracle run.
- Lots of local running peeps are going to the race expo today or tomorrow, and as crowded and crazy as they are, I do love me a good race expo.
- This year, the weather promises to be almost summer race-perfect with the never-ending May-Gray, June-Gloom that has permeated through July and now into August.
I am NOT finished with any of my course syllabus
I have no idea what else to say about that, other than I still hope to have them all finished by the end of the weekend. I've never managed this feat before (having syllabi finished before our professional development week begins), but it would be nice.
I am NOT worried about DramaGirl starting high school
Really, I'm not. Betty is her principal, why should I be worried?
I am NOT turning 48 today
OK...that one is a lie. I am. I'm pretty much OK with it, but the last day or so I've been thinking about what it means to be 48 years old. I don't feel 48. Lord knows I don't act 48 (or maybe I do, and I just have some old-fashioned, media-manipulated conceptualization of what I should be acting like as 48 year old mother of two teenagers.)
48...geez...how did THAT happen?