Notable moments from Saturday morning included:
- Betty heckling motivational speaker, and renown middle distance runner, Steve Scott, when he told us about hitting the wall at mile 21 and having to slow to a 9:30 to 10:00 pace, and then the moment of silence that followed as people turned to see "who said that?"
- Realizing that day-glo-neon-lime-green is the incorrect choice if the goal is to blend in with the crowd when heckling Steve Scott (e.g. bummer dude...SLOWING to a 10:00 pace MUST BE JUST AWFUL! which I guess is true if you're used to running a 5:00 pace, but when motivating, you should remember your audience...)
|It's a lousy picture, taken into the sun, but can you spot Betty and Mik in the photo? Yeah...we blend....|
- Hearing other runners echo Betty's comments....clearly we were not the only ones thinking this.
- Running on the coast out of Carlsbad State Beach. I LOVE this run. It's quite a drive to Carlsbad from La Mesa and every year on the way there, I wonder "why am I driving this far to run?" and every year, when I get there, I remember why.
|I never get tired of this...|
|...or this (taken after the run)|
- Running 6:25 miles in about an 1:03 (10:07 ave pace). Next week is the Super Run 10K. If I can do that next week, it'll be a 10K PR.
- Collecting some more rocks for Elsie, who has a new grandbaby (CONGRATS!) and a cold, so she didn't run on Saturday...you'll have to ask her what she and PK do with the rocks, but I hear it involves warming them and a massage.
|Mik said, "this one fits in the palm of my hand!"|
|Just before this we were lying down on the rocks to see if we could get a good massage in... a surfer walking by was both very confused and quite entertained|
- Putting our legs in the very, very, very, effing cold ocean...it's just like an ice-bath...right?
|Kat and Betty go first|
|Betty and Kat may look like they are smiling, but really they were just gritting their teeth|
|Accidental shot...but here's the view beach from the ocean.|
- Having breakfast at Honey's in Encinitas...a tradition. I completely don't get how it works, but we always manage to get a table there.
- Learning that an effective way to remember a password is make it an insult to a person who is bugging you. That way you get to type it in repeatedly, but not actually say it... GENIUS!
Mik, Kat and I registered for the Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon yesterday morning, so that'll be my next 1/2 Mary. My primary goal is to train for this one (really train) and to continue getting faster and stronger, and most importantly, to stay healthy and uninjured (imagine that!)
Have a super week everyone!