Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Happy New Year!

Wow...  Only 22 posts last year. I don't have anything really to say about that other than, I am still hanging onto this blog anyway. I'm not sure why. I guess I am afraid of losing the mojo that came along with starting it. People who have met me in the last five years are surprised to hear me talk about my life before blogging/running. They assume that because I run, ride, workout now, it's always been that way. Nothing, of course, could be further from the truth, so like a baseball player who is reticent to give up his lucky bat for fear of losing the ability to hit a ball, I am unlikely to give up my "lucky blog" for fear of being sloth-like again.

That being said, I was really flattered over the weekend when one of my young cousins, who has started running called me to ask me (the family running expert!) for advise about her shin splints (yeah, if there's something I can give advice about, it's running injuries!)

So, it's January again. Five years ago, I started writing about my adventures with the herd as we embarked upon running our first (and so far only) marathon. To be honest, the last 4 years, I've been pretty much going non-stop. This year, I really slowed it down. A LOT. This past year, I ran in only THREE (3) organized races, but set a PR in two of them (the Carlsbad 1/2 Marathon last January, and the SuperRun 10K in February. Most of the year was somehow dedicated to cycling. Betty, Mik and I rode in four organized rides including the Bike the Coast Century in November. Elsie decided that riding was not for her, and sold her bike. Wilma joined us occasionally.

I'm not sure about this cycling thing. Betty loves riding, but I'm sorta MEH about it, especially the longer distances and especially THE HILLS (hate 'em). It takes a long time to ride a bike 100 miles, and even longer to train for it. I'll continue to ride this year, but I'm not sure I'll do another century for awhile.

That being said, we are looking into again doing the  Senorita Century (the 60 mile course) in March, because I almost NEVER mean it when I say, "I won't do THAT again!"

I've also been working out with a personal trainer since June, which I've rather enjoyed. I certainly enjoy seeing something that resembles arm and/or (gasp) stomach muscles. If I were to have a resolution for the new year, it would be to have some mad ab musclez... and to have calves that are thin enough so that I can wear boots.

I feel like I'm sort of stuck in a place right now where I'm not sure what my next big goal should be. This leaves me feeling a little disconcerted. Since it is January, I have joined the San Diego Track Club's Rockin' and Runnin' program again. Right now, several of us (Betty, Mik, Elsie, and Edith (!!)) are signed up for the San Diego Half Marathon in March, which is the week after the Senorita Century. So March is also looking to be a pretty crazy month.

I keep thinking that maybe I'll run another marathon this year, but we'll see. I am pretty sure I won't be able to convince anyone other than BBJ to run it with me.

I also think about blogging regularly again. My biggest regret for 2012 is that I didn't blog enough. Instead, I put together an end of year slide show for the herd. It's long (about 12 minutes), but it definitely highlights some of the adventures this past year. I'm not sure if the audio will work... if you want the original slide show, click on this link to my dropbox account public folder. (It may take awhile to download...it's a huge file!)




3 comments:

  1. Since running, I have to find boots to accommodate my muscle-y calves... Not that they're uber muscle-y, some boots just won't zip up past my calves! Happy New Year! I sort of feel the same about my blog. I've blogged way less, but I don't want to give it up, either. See you on the road!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know where you are with blogging and goals - I recognise it. I really contemplated giving up my blog but have decided not to - like you it's my lucky touchstone, the sign of my changed life. As for not knowing what to aim for next - sometimes I think it's good to just go through some motions (like joining the track club) and then see - something will come up that makes you think "yes!" and that will set you off. I think you need a fallow period from time to time - I hate them but they DO precede growth. And I'll be following to see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a lot of life covered in our blogs and I think many of us don't want to lose that...it's like abandoning a good friend simply because you have less time and less in common. I am certainly not the same runner as when I started my blog eight years ago, but it's nice to go back at times and read what once was. Maybe for you too.

    ReplyDelete