Tuesday, January 8, 2008

First Tuesday Night Training

I didn’t take a picture tonight...bummer...it would have been nice to have a photo of all of us after our first Tuesday night workout.

So, instead of a photo, I have some pictures of some cows running and a link to a website that you can visit when you’re bored. (Click on where it says cows running). The picture of the cows in the pasture represent us “striding” the straightaway. The photo of the cows on the street represents exactly the comment Dianne and I made to each other as we started the workout (in other words, Mooooo).

I think it’s cool that we’re making friends with others from East County, but I’m not sure I’m going to tell people we’re from Helix if they’re going to ask me if I knew Palumbo...geez...

Also, did anyone notice that Leslie had her own cheerleader?

Alice


After the run, Chez Mo's

Yes, Jameson will be shouting out for all of us before too long, he's definitely an atheletic supporter! Cheryl and I went to get dinner in Hillcrest after (she got lost) and ended up finding a cool dive bar called Mo's (no worries about getting hit on there) they had great food and not bad prices, plus plenty of air circulating so when we walked in covered in sweat and smelling stinky no one ran out the door.

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 - 02:30 PM


Alice - Wednesday Night

All I have to say is that I ran for 30 minutes on the treadmill tonight, and it was PAINFUL, PAINFUL, PAINFUL...

what should I do about my shins constantly aching? Cheryl? Jaime? Anyone?

Wednesday, January 9, 2008 - 07:42 PM


Clarence - Thursday Night

Okay... Cindi, Paula Ann and I forgot that we had yet another meeting afterschool. So we weren't able to meet our new friend @ Lake Murray at 4pm. I figured that we could run the track after instead.

WELL.... because our meeting lasted FOREVER and a DAY (thanks to HE who shall remain nameless), we didn't get started until 5pm and it was just Cindi and I. PA had "supervision" at a wrestling match.. hee hee

So we ran 2 laps, stretched, ran another 4 laps and then loop Helix twice. Helix @ night = scary! you can't see potholes at night. 35 minutes! A LOT better than the gym.

Friday, January 11, 2008 - 03:10 PM


Alice - Thursday Night

Here's a link to Map My Run of the route that Dianne and I took (2x) around Helix, plus one more mile (four laps) around the track.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-states/ca/san-diego/639637304

Saturday, January 12, 2008 - 10:29 PM


Edith - Shin splints

Hey girls...nice job this Saturday! I figure after running in the snow next weekend, yesterdays freezing cold fog will seem like a tropical retreat!

Here's the scoop on shin splints...2 solutions:

1) Stop running

2) Ice and exercises to strengthen the muscles, and endure until they get better.

Here's a great way to ice - get the little paper dixie cups and put water in them and put them in the freezer. Before your run, ice for 20 minutes. Take the dixie cup, peel the paper back a bit, and run the ice up and down your shins. 20 min on (ice), 20 min off, 20 on. The ice will not be gone, so put it back in the freezer and repeat the same thing after the run. The cup helps to keep your fingers from getting cold.

As for exercises, toe taps are good because we do that normally :), and can be done anywhere. I can show you some others that you can do with a small hand towel.

While you are waiting for the muscles to get stronger, try to run on softer, sponguey surfaces as much as you can (grass, all weather track, treadmill).

I hope this helps!

Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 08:43 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment