Friday, January 4, 2008

40 Things about Alice

I began this blog as a way to chronicle my adventures and experiences training for my first marathon with my friends, most of whom were not long distance runners (although some of us are definitely athletes), but it has grown to include other stories and random passages about other stuff as well.

I have a wonderful husband (Walter) and two great kids who I'll call Drama Girl (13) and Turbo Boy (10).

When I'm not running, being with my family, or blogging, I teach English at a community college.

Here's the mandatory "things about me" post
  1. Alice is not my real name.
  2. It was given to me by my husband when we drove around the country before we were married (It’s from The Honeymooners).
  3. My husband is the kindest most patient man in the world...he puts up with me for example.
  4. I grew up in Reno, Nevada
  5. I don’t like to gamble.
  6. I graduated from the University of Nevada - Reno with a degree in journalism
  7. I got tired of being cold all the time so some 20 years ago, I moved to San Diego for the summer.
  8. There were no jobs in journalism for me in San Diego but I stayed anyway.
  9. I worked in the hotel industry for awhile as a catering director
  10. I hated working weekends and holidays.
  11. I decided that if I became a teacher, I’d have weekends and holidays off
  12. I earned my teaching credential at SDSU
  13. That’s where I met my husband.
  14. He made me laugh, so I fell in love with him.
  15. Turns out that I really love teaching.
  16. I used to teach high school English.
  17. It’s not nearly as scary as it sounds.
  18. I wanted to be a better teacher, so I earned my doctorate in education four years ago.
  19. Even though I had a job at the district office, I decided to go back to teaching high school
  20. I'd make the students call me Dr.
  21. Last spring, I was offered a tenure track position teaching English at a community college, and I took it.
  22. Scary to leave the herd and my school, but I was ready for a new challenge.
  23. I'm still deciding if I like it or not.
  24. I also do some consulting work and taught part time at SDSU
  25. I’m trying to cut back on things like that now.
  26. Until four years ago, I hadn’t run more than a mile since college
  27. In November 2004, I walked in my first “Turkey Trot:
  28. In January 2007, I ran a whole 5K without walking
  29. In August 2007, Betty convinced me to run a 1/2 marathon.
  30. After the first 1/2 marathon, Betty suggested we run a marathon.
  31. I told Betty she was crazy, but joined the San Diego Track Club's Rockin' and Runnin' training program anyway.
  32. In June 2008, I’m ran my first marathon.
  33. I’m a runner now.
  34. I have two children who keep me really busy and who I adore.
  35. They both make me proud.
  36. My husband is the GREATEST GUY in the world, in that he supports all the crazy things I do.
  37. I love blogging.
  38. I hate housekeeping.
  39. I love to cook (but not do the dishes).
  40. I have the greatest friends in the world, some of whom run and blog with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment